Looking for MMA Classes in Bright?
Our Academy offers both basic Kick Boxing (morning) and advanced Kick Boxing + Sparring classes (for all Students enrolled in the afternoon classes). Our Sparring classes combine MMA techniques with full-contact sparring, including punching, kicking, wrestling, throws, takedowns, sweeps, kick catches, and elbow strikes. Our definition of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) stays true to the term “mixed”, as we incorporate the following styles during the match: Kick Boxing (Sanshou), Shaolin Quan, Baji Quan, Drunken Fist Boxing, BMC and Wrestling.
What does a Sparring session look like?
In order to ensure the most realistic sparring sessions possible, while ensuring safety on both sides at the same time, our sparring style is divided into two types: Turn-based combat, and Combat simulation.
- Turn-based combat: this type is based on a timed alternation of attack and defense. It aims at training the brain to learn increasingly difficult block-attack patterns.
- Combat simulation: this type is unlocked only after the Athlete has completed his/her first year of training. Combat simulation can only take place between Master and Student, or between two Students who have been enrolled in the Academy for at least one year. In Combat simulation, sparring will display the typical characteristics of a real cage fight, provided that the rules set below are understood and followed:
What’s allowed and what’s not?
In general, there are three components that are excluded from our sparring sessions. They are: speed, power, and malicious intention.
- Speed: Athletes must be aware that it is easy to get carried away by the adrenaline of the moment, therefore, for safety reasons, speed factor is reduced to minimum in our sparring sessions, while it can increase in the turn-based combat sessions, according to the degree of experience achieved by each Athlete. Speed is the main reason of injury in fighting sports, due to the “ping-pong effect” between the two sparring parts: if A attacks/blocks B using his/her full speed, B will adapt to this new pace, therefore the match will increase its rythm faster and faster, increasing the risk of injury for both A and B. This is called “the ping-pong effect”.
- Power: the same goes for power factor for any type of attack and counter-attack: reduced to minimum in our sparring sessions, which can be increased in turn-based sparring to the degree of experience achieved by each Athlete.
- Malicious intention: reduced to zero irrespectively. It is clear that, in order for both fighters to be mentally ready for a real-like life situation, there must be a factor defined as “simulated aggression” within our combat sessions, but the malicious intention – or clear intent of hurting the opponent – is strictly banned by our Academy.
Students who won’t obey the above mentioned rules will be banned from the Academy without reservation.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
All classes and styles belong to the Shunlian Shenghuo Kungfu Academy program and are brought to you in their genuineness.
Not sure which class suits you most..? Try our Style choice Advisor!
The Shunlian Shenghuo Kungfu Academy allows its Students to learn any class with no limitation. However, we strongly suggest to follow a gradual 3+2 year program where you can start from the easiest skill to the most complex Shaolin Kungfu technique. Furthermore, this is the only way the Academy will recognize your achievements.